Monday, December 8, 2008

You gotta give 'em hope


After months and weeks of searching for time and a partner to see MILK with, I finally made my way into a movie theatre yesterday.

And I have never been happier that I did.

I'm not some huge movie buff, I won't even begin to try and write some overbearing critique, but to put it simply, this movie was fucking amazing.

Literally, from the very first scene I had chills. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, assuming that most people won't know much about Harvey Milk, George Moscone or their politics during their time in office. But even without that background, the film is so powerful.

In the past few months I've come to know the Castro area very well thanks to reporting on it for school. And even today, the spirit and energy of what Harvey Milk's legacy and fight created is apparent. Seeing scenes from places I walk the streets of everyday, in a city that has such a huge place in my small, cold heart was an experience in itself.

Milk was the true definition of selfless. And he did it in a way that compromised none of himself.

I'm not a huge Sean Penn fan, I almost find him irritating, but after this movie my level of respect for him as an actor has shot up a few hundred points. The entire cast. Perfect.

Go see this movie! By the time it was over, I was crying like a baby. Even after the credits were done. It was just that good.

No comments: